Prof. Dr. Marcel Lichters
Prof. Dr. Marcel Lichters is the head of the Chair of Marketing in the Faculty of Economics and Management at the Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg.
He has studied business psychology, business informatics, and business consulting. After several years of practical experience in the fields of market research and marketing consulting in Switzerland and Göttingen, he continued his career as a research assistant at the University of Magdeburg. In 2015, he received his doctorate with a dissertation on "Consumer Choice in Context: A Qualitative Meta-Analysis and Six Experiments on the Context Dependency of Consumer Preferences". He then took a position as senior manager at the Institut für Sensorikforschung und Innovationsberatung (isi GmbH in Rosdorf/Göttingen) and was a visiting professor of Consumer Psychology and Marketing Research at Harz University of Applied Sciences in Wernigerode. In 2016, he took over the junior professorship for Business Administration - Consumer Behavior in Magdeburg. In 2021 he followed the call to the Chemnitz University of Technology, where he was the head of the Chair of Marketing and Retailing. From 2023 on, Prof. Lichters is leading the Chair of Marketing at the Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg.
In his research, Prof. Marcel Lichters is mainly concerned with decision anomalies and consumer manipulation attempts, digital market research methods, and sensory marketing & product research. For this purpose, he maintains collaborations with international partners including Caltech, the University of South Florida, and Rowan University. His work has been published in internationally renowned journals including the Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Service Research, and Journal of Business Research.
You can find a selection of his social media and online presences at: https://linktr.ee/marcellichters.
- Lichters, M., Brunnlieb, C., Nave, G., Sarstedt, M., & Vogt, B. (2016). The Influence of Serotonin Deficiency on Choice Deferral and the Compromise Effect. Journal of Marketing Research, 53(2), 183‐198.
- Girard, A., Lichters, M., Sarstedt, M., & Biswas, D. (2019). Short‐ and Long‐term Effects of nonconsciously Processed Ambient Scents in a Servicescape: Findings from two Field Experiments.Journal of Service Research, 22(4), 440‐455.
- Canty, M., Lang, F. J., Lichters, M., Adler, S. J., & Sarstedt, M. (2023). Caffeine’s complex influence on the attraction effect: a mixed bag of outcomes. Marketing Letters. Advance online publication.
- Kühn, F., Lichters, M., & Krey, N. (2020). The touchy issue of produce: Need for touch in online grocery retailing.Journal of Business Research, 117(September), 244‐255.
- Cox, J. C., Kroll, E. B., Lichters, M., Sadiraj, V., & Vogt, B. (2019). The St. Petersburg paradox despite risk-seeking preferences: An experimental study.Business Research, 12(1), 27‐44
- Lichters, M., Bengart, P., Sarstedt, M., & Vogt, B. (2017). What really Matters in Attraction Effect Research: When Choices Have Economic Consequences. Marketing Letters, 28(1), 127‐138.
- Schuldt, J., Doktor, A., Lichters, M., Vogt, B., & Robra, B. P. (2017). Insurees‘ Preferences in Hospital Choice: A Population based Study.Health Policy, 121(10), 1040‐1046.
- Lichters, M., Müller, H., Sarstedt, M., & Vogt, B. (2016). How durable Are Compromise Effects? Journal of Business Research, 69(10), 4056‐4064.
- Lichters, M., Sarstedt, M., & Vogt, B. (2015). On the practical Relevance of the Attraction Effect: A cautionary Note and Guidelines for Context Effect Experiments. AMS Review, 5(1‐2), 1‐19.
- Associate Editor for Consumer Behavior and Wellbeing at the Journal of Business Research
ad hoc by year
- 2023 5th Meeting of the AG Marketing within the Data Science Society, November 2023, Clausthal: Session Chair
- 2023 AMS World Marketing Congress, July 2023, Canterbury: Program committee Consumer Behavior
- 2021 AMA Summer Conference, August 2021, virtual: Session Chair Consumer Psychological Processes
- 2021 AMS Annual Conference, May 2021, New York: Track Chair Consumer Behavior
- 2020 AMS Annual Conference, December 2020, Miami: Program committee Sensory Food and Beverage Marketing
- 2019 AMS World Marketing Congress, July 2019, Edinburgh: Program committee Marketing Research: Methods, Measures and Analytics
- 2019 AMS Annual Conference, May 2019, Vancouver: Program committee Sensory Marketing
- 2018 AMS Annual Conference, May 2018, New Orleans: Program committee Marketing Metrics, Analytics, & Research Methods
- Since 10/2023: Otto-von-Guericke-University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management, Magdeburg: Full Professor Marketing
- 03/2021 ‐ 09/2023: Chemnitz University of Technology, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Chemnitz: Full Professor Marketing and Retail
- Since 08/2017: Lichters Markt‐ & Meinungsforschung, Ilsenburg (Harz): Company Owner
- 09/2016 ‐ 02/2021: Otto‐von‐Guericke‐University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management, Magdeburg: Asst. Professor Consumer Behavior
- 09/2015 ‐ 08/2016: Hochschule Harz, Fachbereich Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wernigerode: Visiting Professor Business Psychology (in particular Consumer Psychology & Market Research)
- 08/2015 ‐ 08/2016: isi GmbH, Göttingen: Senior Manager
- 09/2012 ‐ 08/2015: Otto‐von‐Guericke‐Universität Magdeburg, Lehrstuhl für empirische Wirtschaftsforschung, Magdeburg: Research Associate (Ph.D., then post‐doc)
- 09/2012 ‐ 07/2015: Management Tools Research AG, Beckenried (CH): Scientific Consultant
- 04/2013 ‐ 07/2014: Hochschule Harz, Fachbereich Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wernigerode: Lecturer for Data Analysis, Market Research / Conjoint‐Analysis, Practical projects
- 02/2011 ‐ 08/2012: Institut für Sensorikforschung und Innovationsberatung (isi GmbH & Co. KG), Göttingen: Project Manager
- 01/2012 ‐ 03/2012: Verwaltungs‐ und Wirtschafts-Akademie und Berufsakademie, Göttingen: Lecturer for Marketing Research
- 06/2009 ‐ 01/2011: Management Tools AG, Zürich / Beckenried (CH): Business Data Analyst & Freelance Market Research
- 09/2000 ‐ 07/2001: Katasteramt Wernigerode, Wernigerode: Surveying Technician